WHAT IS SCIENCE?
Science is knowledge about or study of the natural world based on facts learned through experiments and observation.
At Mayfair, Science classes are designed to ignite curiosity about the world around us. Teachers work to infuse science standards and student interest into their whole curriculum, not just science class. Students are expected to pose questions (inquiry) and search for answers to those questions through collaboration, communication, creativity, and critical thinking.
Characteristics Of Inquiry-Based Instruction
* Teachers create situations for students to solve problems.
* Students make connections to previous knowledge.
* Students bring their own questions to learning.
* Students design a way to try out their own ideas.
* Investigations may extend over a long period of time.
* Students communicate via journal writing, oral presentations, drawing, graphing, charting, etc.
* Students revise explanations as they learn.